How Ignoring Bayes Theorem Caused the Mess

Bad Probability and Economic Disaster; or How Ignoring Bayes Theorem Caused
the Mess

http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2008/09/bad_probability_and_economic_d.php

via Good Math, Bad Math on 9/23/08

There is at least a little bit of interesting bath math to learn from in the
whole financial mess going on now. A couple of commenters beat me to it, but
I'll go ahead and write about it anyway.
One of the big questions that comes up again and again is: how did they get
away with this? How could they find any way of taking things that were
worthless, and turn them into something that could be represented as safe?
The answer is that they cheated in the math.

Things you can do from here:
Subscribe to Good Math, Bad Math using Google Reader
Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your favorite sites
Carlos Alberto de Braganca Pereira <cpereira@ime.usp.br>