**10/12/08 - 14:00h** Ciclo de Palestras Pós Graduação em Estatística UFRJ

Caros,

Encerrando as atividades  do Ciclo de Palestras do Programa de Pós-Graduação
em Estatística do IM-UFRJ em 2008, teremos,

nesta **4a feira, 10/12/08**, excepcionalmente as **14:00h** as seguintes
palestras

Palestrante: Leonardo S. Bastos (University of Sheffield, UK)
Título: Validating Gaussian process emulators

Palestrante: Thais C. O. Fonseca (University of Warwick, UK)
Título: Nongaussian spatiotemporal modeling

Os resumos seguem abaixo.

Aproveito a oportunidade para desejar aos membros da lista boas festas e um
ano novo de muita saude e paz!

Abracos
Alexandra

Ps.: Desculpem-me pela eventual duplicacao desta mensagem.

Resumos:

Título: Validating Gaussian process emulators

In this talk, I am going to give a brief introduction of complex Computer
models, also known as simulators, that are widely used in all areas of
science and technology to represent complex real-world phenomena. Simulators
are often sufficiently complex that they take appreciable amounts of
computer time or other resources to run. In this context, a methodology has
been developed based on building a statistical representation of the
simulator, known as an emulator. The principal approach to building
emulators uses Gaussian processes. I am going to present a set of
diagnostics to validate and assess the adequacy of a Gaussian process
emulator as surrogate for the simulator. These diagnostics are based on
comparisons between simulator outputs and Gaussian process emulator outputs
for some test data, known as validation data, defined by a sample of
simulator runs not used to build the emulator. Our diagnostics take care to
account for correlation between the validation data.

Título: Nongaussian spatiotemporal modeling

In this work, we develop and study nongaussian models for processes that
vary continuously in space and time. The main goal is to consider heavy
tailed processes that can accommodate both aberrant observations and
clustered regions with larger observational variability. These situations
are quite common in meteorological applications where outliers are
associated with severe weather events such as tornados and hurricanes. In
this context, the idea of scale mixing a gaussian process as proposed in
Palacios and Steel (JASA, 2006) is extended and the properties of the
resulting process are discussed. The model is very flexible and it is able
to capture variability across time that differs according to spatial
locations and variability across space that differs in time. This is
illustrated by an application to maximum temperature data in the Spanish
Basque Country. The model allows for prediction in space-time since we can
easily predict the mixing process and conditional on the latter the finite
dimensional distributions are gaussian. The predictive ability is measured
through proper scoring rules such as log predictive scores and interval
scores. In addition, we explore the performance of the proposed model under
departures from gaussianity in a simulated study where data sets were
contaminated by outliers in several ways; overall, the nongaussian models
recover the covariance structure well whereas the covariance structure
estimated by the gaussian model is very influenced by the contamination.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Alexandra Mello Schmidt, PhD
Professora Adjunta
Instituto de Matemática - UFRJ
Departamento de Métodos Estatísticos
Caixa Postal 68530 Rio de Janeiro - RJ
CEP:21.945-970 Brasil
Tel: 0055 21 2562 7505 Ramal (Extension) 204
Fax: 0055 21 2562 7374

http://www.dme.ufrj.br/~alex
There is no time to lose. Cash your dreams before they slip away.
Lose your dreams and you lose your mind.
Gentileza gera gentileza (Profeta Gentileza).