[Fwd: Workshop on ?Longitudinal and Incomplete Data?]

Workshop on ?Longitudinal and Incomplete Data?
Periodo:
29/11, das 14 as 17h,
30/11 a 03/12 das 9 as 12h e das 14 as 17h
site:
http://www.rbras.org.br/~ibcfloripa2010/SatelliteConferences.php

Longitudinal and Incomplete Data

Names and addresses of presenters:
Geert Verbeke (50%), I-BioStat, K.U.Leuven & UHasselt,
Kapucijnenvoer 35, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium,
Email: geert.verbeke@med.kuleuven.be,
Tel: +32-16-336891, Sec: +32-16-336892, Fax: 32-16-337015,
Web: http://www.kuleuven.be/biostat.

Geert Molenberghs (50%), I-BioStat, UHasselt & K.U.Leuven,
Agoralaan 1, Building D, B-3590 Diepenbeek, Belgium,
Kapucijnenvoer 35, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium,
Email: geert.molenberghs@uhasselt.be & geert.molenberghs@med.kuleuven.be,
Tel: +32-11-268238 & +32-16-336885, Sec: +32-11-268202, Fax: +32-11-268299,
Web: http://www.uhasselt.be/censtat.

Abstract:
We first present linear mixed models for continuous hierarchical data. The
focus lies on the modeler?s perspective and on applications. Emphasis will
be on model formulation, parameter estimation, and hypothesis testing, as
well as on the distinction between the random-effects (hierarchical) model
and the implied marginal model. Apart from classical model building
strategies, many of which have been implemented in standard statistical
software, a number of flexible extensions and additional tools for model
diagnosis will be indicated. Second, models for non-Gaussian data will be
discussed, with a strong emphasis on generalized estimating equations
(GEE) and the generalized linear mixed model (GLMM). To usefully introduce
this theme, a brief review of the classical generalized linear modeling
framework will be presented. Similarities and differences with the
continuous case will be discussed. The differences between marginal
models, such as GEE, and random-effects models, such as the GLMM, will be
explained in detail. Third, when analysing hierarchical and longitudinal
data, one is often confronted with missing observations, i.e., scheduled
measurements have not been made, due to a variety of (known or unknown)
reasons. It will be shown that, if no appropriate measures are taken,
missing data can cause seriously jeopardize results, and interpretational
difficulties are bound to occur. Methods to properly analyze incomplete
data, under flexible assumptions, are presented. Key concepts of
sensitivity analysis are introduced. Throughout the course, it will be
assumed that the participants are familiar with basic statistical
modelling, including linear models (regression and analysis of variance),
as well as generalized linear models (logistic and Poisson regression).
Moreover, pre-requisite knowledge should also include general estimation
and testing theory (maximum likelihood, likelihood ratio). All
developments will be illustrated with worked examples using the SAS
System. These will be supplemented with practical sessions.

Presenters:
Geert Verbeke is Professor in Biostatistics at the Biostatistical Centre
of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium. He received the B.S.
degree in mathematics (1989) from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, the
M.S. in biostatistics (1992) from the Limburgs Universitair Centrum, and
earned a Ph.D. in biostatistics (1995) from the Katholieke Universiteit
Leuven. Dr Verbeke wrote his dissertation, as well as a number of
methodological articles, on various aspects of linear mixed models for
longitudinal data analyses. He has held visiting positions at the
Gerontology Research Center and the Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore,
MD). Geert Verbeke is Past President of the Quetelet Society,
International Program Chair for the International Biometric Conference in
Montreal (2006), Board Member of the American Statistical Association, and
Joint Editor of the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A
(2005?2008).

Geert Molenberghs is Professor of Biostatistics at the Universiteit
Hasselt and the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium. He received the
B.S. degree in mathematics (1988) and a Ph.D. in biostatistics (1993) from
the Universiteit Antwerpen. Dr Molenberghs published methodological work
on surrogate markers in clinical trials, categorical data, longitudinal
data analysis, and on the analysis of non-response in clinical and
epidemiological studies. He served as Joint Editor for Applied Statistics
(2001-2004) and is President of the International Biometric Society
(2004-2005). He was elected Fellow of the American Statistical Association
and received the Guy Medal in Bronze from the Royal Statistical Society.
He has held visiting positions at the Harvard School of Public Health
(Boston, MA). He is currently Co-Editor of Biometrics (2007?2009).

Both presenters are editor and author of four books on the use of linear
mixed models for the analysis of longitudinal data (Springer Lecture Notes
1997, Springer Series in Statistics 2000, Springer Series in Statistics
2005, Chapman & Hall/CRC 2009), and they have taught numerous short and
longer courses on the topic in universities as well as industry, in
Europe, North America, Latin America, and Australia.

Course materials:
- Copies of the transparencies used in the course.

- Verbeke, G. and Molenberghs, G. (2000) Linear Mixed Models for
Longitudinal Data. New York: Springer.

- Molenberghs, G. and Verbeke, G. (2005) Models for Discrete Longitudinal
Data. New York: Springer.

Learning outcomes and instructional methods:
As a result of the course, participants should be able to perform a basic
analysis for a particular longitudinal data set at hand, using linear,
generalized linear, and non-linear tools for longitudinal data. Based on a
selection of exploratory tools, the nature of the data, and the research
questions to be answered in the analyses, they should be able to construct
an appropriate statistical model, to fit the model within the SAS
framework, and to interpret the obtained results. Further, participants
should be aware not only of the possibilities and strengths of a
particular selected approach, but also of its drawbacks in comparison to
other methods. The course will be explanatory rather than mathematically
rigorous. Emphasis is on giving sufficient detail in order for
participants to have a general overview of frequently used approaches,
with their advantages and disadvantages, while giving reference to other
sources where more detailed information is available. Also, it will be
explained in detail how the different approaches can be implemented in the
SAS package, and how the resulting outputs should be interpreted.

--
Clarice Garcia Borges Demétrio
Departamento de Ciências Exatas

Biometry, the active pursuit of biological knowledge by quantitative
methods.? ? R.A. Fisher, 1948