Fwd: International Encyclopedia of Statistics, exciting news, Nobel Prize, etc

Complementando a mensagem do Gauss vejam o site

3. The most wonderful and unbelievable news is the following one:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=hr&u=http://www.sutra.ba/novost/25725/Za-Nobelovu-nagradu-za-mir-predloeni-Lovri-Komi-i-Dumani&ei=iC9HTeLmA4-Cswa7zonDDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlovric%2Bkomic%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Divnso

The Google translation is not the best one, but you will see the notion.

The similar nominations for the Nobel 2011 Peace Prize have come from several other countries.

As you know statisticians and mathematicians are excluded from the Nobel Prize, so this is the first time that statisticians have been nominated (and probably, unfortunately, the last), which I regard as the GREAT honor to our science. Worst than that, statisticians and mathematicians are not even entitled to nominate someone for the Nobel Prize.

In my humble opinion, it was much more adequate to nominate “Contributors of the International Encyclopedia of Statistical Science” for the Nobel Peace Prize. We, together, have done something extraordinary, by united, as brothers, nations from 105 countries (and 6.1 billion people). May be we can do that next year?

At least, after this nomination, some people in public will hopefully start appreciating statistics, and talk about it from different angle. In the Republic of Srpska, Bosnia, that helped me substantially to finalize this project, at least, ordinary people (and politicians) used almost to despise statisticians and statistics, but now the situation has been DRAMATICALLY changed for better!

--

Basilio de Bragança Pereira ,DIC and PhD(Imperial College), DL(COPPE)
*UFRJ-Federal University of Rio de Janeiro

*Tel: 55 21 2562-7045/7047/2618/2558
www.po.ufrj.br/basilio/

*MailAddress:
COPPE/UFRJ