Seminário UFSCar/USP

Seminário UFSCar/USP ? 27/05/2011 - 14h00

TITLE: Identifying the Finite Dimensionality of Curve Time Series Analysis: An Application to Financial Returns

SPEAKER: Flávio Augusto Ziegelmann - UFRGS

ABSTRACT: The curve time series framework provides a convenient vehicle to accommodate some nonstationary features into a stationary setup. We propose a new method to identify the dimensionality of curve time series based on the dynamical dependence across different curves.
The practical implementation of our method boils down to na eigenanalysis of a finite-dimensional matrix. Furthermore, the determination of the dimensionality is equivalent to theidentification of the non-zero eigenvalues of the matrix, which we carry out in terms of some bootstrap tests. Asymptotic properties of the proposed method are investigated. In particular, our estimators for zero-eigenvalues enjoy the fast convergence rate $n$ while the estimators for non-zero eigenvalues converge at the standard $\sqrt n$-rate. The proposed methodology is illustrated with both simulated and real financial data sets.