Seminário UFSCar/USP - 30/09/2011 - 14h00 - DEs/UFSCar

Seminário UFSCar/USP ? 30/09/2011 - 14h00

TITLE: Bayesian modelling of the mean and covariance matrix in normal nonlinear models

PALESTRANTE: Prof. Dr. Edilberto Cepeda Cuervo - Universidad Nacional de Colombia

ABSTRACT:

An important problem in statistics is the study of longitudinal data taking into account the effect of other explanatory variables such as treatments and time. In this paper, a new Bayesian approach for analysing longitudinal data is proposed. This innovative approach takes into account the possibility of having nonlinear regression structures on the mean and linear regression structures on the variance?covariance matrix of normal observations, and it is based on the modelling strategy suggested by Pourahmadi [M. Pourahmadi, Joint mean-covariance models with applications to longitudinal data: Unconstrained parameterizations, Biometrika, 87 (1999), pp. 667?690.].We initially extend the classical methodology to accommodate the fitting of nonlinear mean models then we propose our Bayesian approach based on a generalization of the Metropolis?Hastings algorithm of Cepeda (2001). Finally, we illustrate the proposed methodology by analysing one example, the cattle data set, that is used  to study cattle growth.