The real winner in the US elections: Thomas Bayes

As we all know, last night was the US presidential election.  In one sense,
President Obama was the winner.  But in another sense, the real winner was
Bayesian analysis, which scored a public relations coup.

In 2008, Nate Silver developed a Bayesian model to forecast the U.S.
general election results. He won fame for correctly predicting 49 of 50
states, as well as every Senate race.  This brought him a New York Times
column and a much higher profile.

This time around, his consistent predictions that Obama was in front earned
him a considerable backlash among pundits.  While a few criticisms had
merit, most were mathematically illiterate, indignantly mocking the idea
that the race was anything other than a tossup.  Now the results are in,
and he has predicted all 50 states correctly.

People with our quantitative background can easily find flaws with this
metric. For example, a majority of states were easy to call -- nobody is
surprised by the results in Texas or California.  More seriously, his
"call" for Florida was a 50.3% probability, essentially the proverbial
"coin toss".  Serious analysis has to chalk Florida up to luck.

Nevertheless, the broader point is that Nate's high-profile Bayesian model
just experienced a very visible success. Even better, he recently authored
a book-length popular exposition of the Bayesian approach.  I purchased
that book, "The Signal and the Noise," on a recent flight.  It's excellent
reading: more technical than McGrayne's recent entry, but no less
accessible or engaging.

Charles Hogg
charles.r.hogg@gmail.com

 <cpereira@ime.usp.br>