Visual Gems of Number Theory-04/11/2013 as 14 hs-Unicamp

Prezados,

por gentileza, solicito ampla divulgação do seminário previsto para
segunda feira 04/11/2013, na Unicamp.

Título: Visual Gems of Number Theory

Palestrante: Roger Nelsen  (Lewis & Clark College)

Local-Unicamp: Sala CB 06
Horario: 14 hs

 Abstract:

Number theory ?a branch of mathematics devoted to the study of the
integers? dates back to the time of the ancient Greeks. A course in number
theory is often a part of an undergraduate mathematics major. While
preparing this talk, I looked through several number theory texts. I was
struck by how few illustrations most of them have. An integer can
represent many things?the cardinality of a set, the length of a line
segment, the area of a region, the volume of a solid, etc. So the texts
should have more pictures. In this talk I?ll try to remedy that, and
present some of my favorite pictures for use in studying number theory,
what I call visual gems of number theory. No prior experience with number
theory is required.

 Att,

veronica