[ABE-L]: Divulgação de Palestra

Convidamos a comunidade para o Ciclo de Palestras do Programa de Pós-Graduação em

Matemática Aplicada e Computacional - FCT/Unesp.

Palestrante: Profa. Dra. Thaís Cristina Oliveira da Fonseca (IM/UFRJ)

Data: 18 de Junho de 2011
Hora: 16H

Título: A General Class of Nonseparable Space-time Covariance Models

Resumo:

 The aim of this work is to construct a general class of covariance  functions for processes that vary continuously in space and time.  Stochastic  modeling  of phenomena over space and time is important in many areas of  application.  But choice of an appropriate model can be difficult as one must take care to use valid covariance structures. A common choice for the process is a product of purely spatial and temporal random processes. In this case, the  resulting process possesses a separable covariance function. Although these models are guaranteed to be valid, they are severely limited, since they do not allow space-time interactions. We propose a general and flexible way of constructing covariance functions derived through mixing over separable covariance functions. We illustrate our modeling approach in the Irish wind data and  present some extensions.

Aparecida D. P. Souza
Departamento de Matemática, Estatística e Computação
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
UNESP - Campus de Presidente Prudente-SP
Fone: + 55 18 3229-5617   -   Fax: + 55 18  3221-8333