Seminário UFSCar/USP - 14/10/2011 - 14h00

Seminário UFSCar/USP ? 14/10/2011 - 14h00

TITLE: A new lifetime model with decreasing failure rate

SPEAKER: Wagner Barreto de Souza - IME/USP

ABSTRACT:

In this paper, we introduce a new lifetime distribution by compounding exponential and Poisson-Lindley distributions, named the exponential Poisson-Lindley (EPL) distribution. A practical situation where the EPL distribution is most appropriate for modelling lifetime data than exponential-geometric, exponential-Poisson and exponential-logarithmic distributions is presented. We obtain the density and failure rate of the EPL distribution and properties such as mean lifetime, moments, order statistics and Rényi entropy. Furthermore, estimation by maximum likelihood and inference for large samples are discussed. The paper is motivated by two applications to real data sets and we hope that this model will be able to attract wider applicability in survival and reliability. Joint work with Hassan Bakouch (Tanta University).