10/12/07 - Ciclo de Palestras Pós Graduação em Estatística UFRJ

Dando continuidade ao Ciclo de Palestras do Programa de Pós-Graduação em
Estatística do IM-UFRJ teremos, nesta 2a feira (excepcionalmente) , 10/12, as
15:30h o

Palestrante:  Peter Guttorp (University of Washington)

Titulo: "Modeling extremes for air pollution and climate"

Resumo:
Air quality regulations are often set based on observations at approved
monitoring stations. However, the intent of the regulation is typically to
protect people in a larger area from dangerous exposure to pollution. We
look at the distribution of the maximum of a transformed Gaussian process
over a finite set to assess the effective protection of an observation just
within the limits of regulation. The technical tool needed is a
generalization of Rice's formula to two dimensions.
Recent work in human-induced climate change attempts to attribute extreme
events to climatic changes, by simulating climate with and without
antrhopogenic forcing. We look at some tools available for modeling extreme
climate events, look at some data analytic approaches, and discuss possible
ways of estimating trends in extreme climate events.

Atenciosamente,

Alexandra

Ps.: Desculpem-me pela eventual duplicação da postagem desta mensagem.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Alexandra Mello Schmidt, PhD
Professora Adjunta
Instituto de Matemática - UFRJ
Departamento de Métodos Estatísticos
Caixa Postal 68530 Rio de Janeiro - RJ
CEP:21.945-970 Brasil
Tel: 0055 21 2562 7505 Ramal (Extension) 204
Fax: 0055 21 2562 7374

http://www.dme.ufrj.br/~alex
There is no time to lose. Cash your dreams before they slip away.
Lose your dreams and you lose your mind.