Seminário PIPGEs - UFSCar/USP - 04/10/2013 - 14h00

Seminário PIPGEs - UFSCar/USP ? 04/10/2013 - 14h00

TÍTULO: Objective Bayesian analysis for heteroscedastic

PALESTRANTE: Helio dos Santos Migon - UFRJ

RESUMO:

In many statistical problems the normality assumption is very common but in many cases untenable for natural phenomena due to the distribution of the data shows a leptokurtic or a platykurtic shape and is not robust to outliers. In that context, more flexible models can be adopted to accommodate this characteristic. One alternative is to use location-scale models with heavy-tailed prior distributions like Student-t, exponential power between others. The use of Student t-distribution for error component is a good alternative because it provides more flexible tails and reduces the influence of outliers and robust analysis from a Bayesian point of view is possible, for example, for regression model. Sometimes a better choice is the exponential power (EP) distribution that can provide both heavier (leptokurtic) and lighter tails (platykurtic) than normal density. In that context, we develop objective Bayesian analysis for linear heteroscedastic regression models. More specifically, we derive explicit expressions for Jeffreys priors for the model parameters. For both, Student-t and EP distributions, we show that some of these Jeffreys priors lead to a proper posterior distributions. Moreover, we show that our proposed Bayesian analysis compares favorably to frequentist analysis previously proposed in the literature. Finally, we illustrate our methodology with applications of the Student-t and exponential power regression models to different datasets.